Information for Parents:


Is Your Child Under The Age of 5?

Up to your child's 5th birthday, the HEALTH VISITORS are almost always the place you need to go for health advice about your child in the first instance.

Your Health Visitors Can Be Contacted On 01494 864275 and 01494 864276.

If you choose not to vaccinate your child, understand the risks and responsibilities Click here for more information

They will tell you if  you need to see a doctor. They will also tell you if one of the many other services in our area can help you without you needing to wait to see a doctor first.

So that we are able to see children when they are unwell, we would ask all parents to consider the information above first, and not use up the appointments that are available "just in case".

If you are unsure then call 111 and they will advise you.

If its an emergency, then of course you should call 999.

How do I know if I should worry?

When should I worry

This is an incredibly common concern.

A very large number of our GP appointments are booked by people who are not at all unwell, but who are worried. 

It would be lovely if there were enough GP appointments nationally to see everyone that's not unwell in addition to those that are.

Sadly there are not that many appointments or hours in a day.

If you book to see your GP when you or those you care for are well, then that appointment is not availed to help someone who is not well.

If you do not know if the worry you have should be addressed by your GP surgery then just Dial 111 and ask or speak to you local Pharmacist and ask - before booking an appointment.

As a parent this situation can be especially difficult.

Obviously all children get ill, and obviously not every single childhood illness needs a  GP appointment - but how do you know whether you should be worried or not?

Take a look at this  "When Should I Worry" booklet:

It it helps guide you through the maze of when you do not need to worry, and when you do.

If you are unsure whether your child needs a GP appointment then just Dial 111 and ask or pop in and speak to your local Pharmacist and ask.

Family Information & Support

Bucks Info Service

Buckinghamshire County Council offer a service to families with children that can help with many aspects of parenting.

They have a "Parent Zone", advice about Childrens Centres and Childcare, and all aspects of family life and support for children of all ages.

You can access their website by clicking here: Bucks Family Information Service

Parenting Support


Being a parent is one of the most important jobs there is - it is also one of the hardest.

The hours are long, there is no pay and not a lot of gratitude.

Little attention is paid to preparing people for this vital role, yet parents are the key to giving children a happy and stable childhood.

Most parents want to do their best for their children but for many, living with disadvantage can severely compromise their ability. Poverty, unsuitable and insecure housing, domestic violence, lone parenthood, and being a young parent can all disrupt a parent's ability to cope, and families under stress need extra support.

Parenting facts

  • 61 per cent of British parents describe parenting as 'fairly' or 'very difficult'.
  • 94 per cent of parents say it is helpful to talk to another person about parenting problems.

For more information from Barnardos - you can go to their website here:

Home Start

Home Start

Home-Start's informal and friendly support for families with young children provides a lifeline to thousands of parents and children in over 300 communities across the UK and with forces families in Germany and Cyprus.

For more information of the local services they offer you can access their website here:

Parent Carers


Buckinghamshire County Council have a service called Parent Carers to offer support for paretns caring for children with physical or learning disabilities. You can access their webpage here:

Support for ADHD and Autistic Spectrum 


SPACE Support (Chesham), a South Bucks support group for parents and carers of children with ADHD, Autistic Spectrum Disorder & Challenging Behaviour.

You can contact Space via their website here:

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website